On June 23, 2018, sixteen Northgate kids were down on the Winooski River at the Colchester boat launch. They were fishing hard, trying to win Northgate’s sixth consecutive annual fishing derby. The day was overcast with some showers, and the fish weren't biting, but that didn't stop our Northgate kids from giving it their very best effort.
Colby Waite caught the biggest fish, a Sheepshead weighing in at 1.9 pounds. Bella Fitzgerald reeled in a total of three for the most fish caught. Second and third place in the biggest fish category went to Kailey Duval and Bella Fitzgerald. Second and third place in the most fish caught category went to Kailey Duval and Shacar Lewis. Special congratulations to Kailey and Bella for placing in both categories. Great effort and sportsmanship by the kids cast many rays of sunshine on a rather cloudy day.
As winners of our two fishing categories, both Colby and Bella will be taking a Lake Champlain chartered fishing trip with Captain Mickey Maynard, of Lake Champlain Fishing Charters and Guide Service. Once again, Captain Mick's generosity has made it possible for Northgate to offer this trip to our derby winners.
Northgate thanks these businesses and organizations for their support:
- Dave Hartnett and Jolley for supplying a case of night crawlers for the kids to fish with.
- Ray Smith of Green Mountain Sporting Supplies for a fifth straight year of donating his famous Green Mountain Grabbers for the kids to use.
- Bibens ACE Hardware on Lakeshore Drive for their generous donation of hooks, line and sinkers.
- Sons of the American Legion, Post #91 for their generous donation of two $50 Bass Pro Shops gift cards.
- Domino’s Pizza at 1548 North Avenue, our newest supporter.
- The TTI-Blakemore Fishing Group and Ron Stallings for donating their incomparable Road Runner lures for a fourth straight year.
Thanks, as always—and for a sixth consecutive year—to Mike & Monica Elwood for their incredible and on-going support of this annual event. Kevin Bean, Carol Jaramillo, Linda Romeo, Emily Verner, Brian Walker and Jeff Winkler rounded out our list of donators, event staff and volunteers.
Northgate would also like to thank a special youngster, Dominick Brown, winner of many youth tournaments and an absolutely avid angler, for sharing his knowledge in a special Bass fishing seminar he put on for our kids while the judges were tabulating the results. Northgate would also like to say thank you to Mr. Dennis Welker. Dennis spends much time at the Colchester boat launch and has become familiar with our derby by watching our kids fish each year. He knew that the derby was coming up and so on the Friday before he personally picked up trash and trimmed weeds so that things would look good for the kids.
Thanks again to everyone who made this great event possible. We're looking forward to the 2019 Derby!