Did you know that roughly half of home fire deaths result from fires reported between 11 p.m. and 7 a.m., when most people are asleep?
Smoke alarms save lives. If there is a fire in your home, smoke spreads fast and you need smoke alarms to give you time to get out. In fact, having a working smoke alarm cuts the chances of dying in a reported fire in half!
When it comes to smoke alarms, it’s about location, location, location.
The key message is to install smoke alarms in:
- every bedroom
- outside each separate sleeping area
- on every level of your home, including the basement
Homes at Northgate have:
- smoke alarms in every bedroom
- smoke/carbon monoxide alarms in hallways, living rooms, and basements
- every level is protected
- alarms are hardwired with backup batteries for power outages
Maloney Properties, Inc. takes fire safety very seriously. Each alarm is checked during annual preventative maintenance inspections, and batteries and outdated alarms are replaced. Additionally Northgate maintenance staff responds 24-7 to any smoke alarm work order that is placed.
How can you help?
- Contact management whenever any of your alarms beep or "chirp". This is considered an emergency issue, and will be responded to 24-7.
- Never remove the backup batteries from your alarms, and never unplug an alarm from it's power source. These are City of Burlington Fire Code Violations, and may result in a $500 fine to the occupant.
- Visit www.nfpa.org to learn more about fire safety.